Apr

Now For Something Completely Different

Posted by John Keatley / Filed under Blog, Personal Work

Surprised to see something other than stylized portraits?  From the beginning, the goal with this ongoing personal series was to create something completely different from my portrait work.  Last fall, I decided I wanted to push myself to create something outside of my comfort zone.  I would prefer to let these images stand on their own without adding a story or context to them, but I also realize it is important to talk about one’s work.  If not the meaning, at least the process.  I have attempted to explain these to a few close friends, and the best explanation I have come up with so far is that this good idea evolved from several really bad ideas.  What this means is I began with an idea and talked about it for a little while and really wrestled with the concept and how it would read.  The first few concepts never really sat right with me, but thinking and talking about them with others eventually led to what you see here.  Even after I began shooting, the concept continued to evolve.  I worked with a great post production studio called Gigantic Squid, and collaborated with Ian Goode on the final look and feel of everything.  This really has been an experiment and exploration of a different type of photography.  As much as I pulled away from my portrait work in this process, I came to realize just how important the human element is to me in my work.  I learned how to respond to what I was shooting and adapted my approach as the images came to life.  That is not something I get to experience when working on an ad campaign which has to be planned out completely before shooting.  So far, this project has taken me across Washington and Northern California, and I am planning a couple more out of state trips in the months to come.  I have learned so much from this experience and I am excited to see how this continues to evolve and shape me as an artist.

Comments

This is amazing!!!! Wow, seriously so cool.

posted by Brooke on 04.13.11 at 8:26 am

Tragic, yet very relaxing… beautiful imagery

posted by Clint Davis on 04.13.11 at 8:33 am

wow! These pictures are disturbing but I can’t stop looking at them. I love the softness of the tones and that the falling bodies are really small. It catches your eye but doesn’t have that voyeurism feel to it. Amazing work!

posted by josh on 04.13.11 at 8:59 am

Definitely a far cry from the Keatley everyone’s seen. I keep looking for something humorous in the photos but all I see is original, well executed art. Awesome work John.

posted by Ryan Scott on 04.13.11 at 9:38 am

Not to say that your “regular” style isn’t . You know what I meant. ;)

posted by Ryan Scott on 04.13.11 at 9:40 am

I really like them, love the minimalism factor in them, but yet you can’t stop looking, and wondering endless scenarios on where you think the person is coming from.

Great work!

posted by Freddy Oropeza on 04.13.11 at 10:12 am

This is amazing. Fantastic work!

posted by Jeff on 04.13.11 at 4:38 pm

These are amazing John! Hope you exhibit them somewhere. These need to be shown on the wall… big!

posted by Maurice on 04.13.11 at 5:25 pm

pretty sweet stuff. i love different stuff

posted by jeff marsh on 04.13.11 at 9:06 pm

Great images John. I love the tones in the photos, and the emotion really comes through. Great job.

posted by Kevin deLeon on 04.14.11 at 5:49 pm

This reminds me of Daniel Gordon’s Flying series. Have you seen these, John? http://www.danielgordonstudio.com/projects/flying-pictures
I love the mood of yours- mysterious and dramatic.

posted by Jeff on 04.14.11 at 10:59 pm

[...] (and occasional guest on this blog) John Keatley presents a series personal work made up of surreal and beautiful landscapes… Dear God I want a print of one of these [...]

When people fall out of the sky from an airplane explosion their clothes can be blown off their bodies from the force of the fall — they land naked. So I definately got the chills from these images! Very powerful.

posted by Alison on 04.20.11 at 9:50 am

[...] John Keatley:  “This really has been an experiment and exploration of a different type of photography.  As much as I pulled away from my portrait work in this process, I came to realize just how important the human element is to me in my work.  I learned how to respond to what I was shooting and adapted my approach as the images came to life.  That is not something I get to experience when working on an ad campaign which has to be planned out completely before shooting.” [...]

posted by Good Links - About Photography on 05.09.11 at 8:10 am

John, this personal series is an amazing body of work. I can’t wait to see what you add to it.

posted by Matthew Coughlin on 08.29.11 at 6:40 am

[...] first became curious about landscapes a couple of years ago when I shot my Falling Bodies series.  That work was definitely part of my influence in creating this project, and I’m [...]