Nov

Backyard Office: Siding and Drywall

Posted by John Keatley / Filed under Backyard Office

Things are moving along at a pretty good pace now.  Over the past couple of months, there were a few setbacks which held things up for a while, but it looks like we are in the home stretch at this point.  The last few windows were supposed to arrive today, but didn’t, which was a bit of a bummer.  I felt like a kid at Christmas waiting for those dang windows, but hopefully they will arrive tomorrow.  Maybe Santa got stuck in the chimney or something.  Who knows.  There is actually going to be another window on the front where the large area of wood siding currently is, so once that is in, it will look quite a bit different.

I am really happy with how the wood siding turned out, and I love the stain.  I went to great lengths to find that stain color, and even worked my way onto several construction sites before I finally tracked it down.  It was worth the extra effort though, and turns out it was one of the colors we thought we hated when we were going through small color swatches.

Hopefully the windows will arrive tomorrow, and I will post more pictures when they are in.

Comments

Man – that’s a cool project!

posted by Nick on 11.08.11 at 7:23 am

That is just awesome. I totally can relate to the kid on Christmas analogy. I have a habit of just hitting refresh on tracking inquires for things I order online. Have you picked out furniture yet? Keep us updated on all the progress.

posted by Matthew Coughlin on 11.08.11 at 8:37 am

Why does the awning… roof over the French doors look skewed from horizontal? Or is it?
But I agree on the cladding. Looks good.

posted by Dave Pawson on 11.08.11 at 8:57 am

Oh, and Dave, I believe the slant of that awning is there to help direct the gobs of Seattle rain away from the door. That and to add a visual break from all those wonderful horizontal lines of the building.

posted by Ian on 11.08.11 at 9:16 am

The awning is an extension of the roof, so it is one single plane. You can just barely see the overhang on the far right where the roof slopes down. As Ian mentioned, it is also a design element breaking up the lines of the siding.

posted by John Keatley on 11.08.11 at 9:56 am

No furniture yet. Haven’t even thought about it actually. One thing at a time I guess.

posted by John Keatley on 11.08.11 at 9:56 am

Tons of work but I can see progress.

posted by Nenad on 11.08.11 at 10:26 am

Man this looks amazing!!! What interior color scheme are you going with? Looks like I would expect pure white everything with ultra bright reds and lime greens haha epic

posted by Josh on 11.08.11 at 1:34 pm

It looks like a beautiful office in the making! You’ve helped revive my dream of creating an office space to work from outside of my home… well, actually you’ve revived my dream of buying a home, then building an office space. Alas, southern California real estate prices don’t make that dream easily attainable. Thus, it’s wonderful to live vicariously through you. I can’t wait to see more progress!

posted by Barrett Ross on 03.15.12 at 4:51 pm